Why choose synthetic wig?
- It is cheaper than natural, and thanks to modern technologies, it looks natural and is not inferior in beauty and convenience to products made from natural strands.
- It does not cause allergies and allows the scalp to breathe due to the special attachment of the fibers to the base.
- It does not float, it passes air well, does not spoil your own hair, and ensures wearing comfort.
- Looks attractive. Due to the porous structure, artificial hair retains a neat appearance for a long time and is less polluted.
- Not afraid of bad weather and high humidity. Kanekalon wigs do not need constant styling, even when it rains they retain their shape, set at the factory.
- If the care of an artificial wig is of high quality and regular, it will last from six months to 5 years.
Artificial wigs, unlike natural ones, have a “memory”: they retain volume, waves and curls under any conditions. They do not lose their shape and attractiveness even in bad weather, and after washing they immediately return to their original appearance.
As noted above, synthetic strands do not get dirty as quickly as natural ones, so frequent washing (washing) is not required. Before you wash your wig, you need to determine how often you will need to wash it based on several important points:
- The duration of the operation of the wig – naturally, the longer this period, the more dirty the strands;
- The level of air humidity. With high humidity, the wig gets dirty faster;
- The length of the curls. The longer the hair, the faster it gets dirty.
The standard period for washing is 10 uses.
Before you start washing, be sure to purchase all the necessary special tools for this. Choose a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for artificial hair.
Before washing, be sure to soften the water. To do this, you can boil it or add a small amount of soda. Before you wash your wig, brush it. Then the strands will not be very confused.
How to care for a synthetic hair wig: 6 main rules
1. Before each wash, be sure to comb the strands, getting rid of knots.
2. Use brushes and combs with rare teeth, and comb curly hair with your fingers.
3. Combing the wig is allowed only after it is completely dry.
4. Store and dry the product on a professional stand or blank. If there are none, a one and a half liter jar will do.
5. You need to comb your wig every day, and wash it depending on the frequency of wearing.
6. You can dry with a hot hair dryer and lay with an iron only wigs made of thermofiber – this material is not afraid of exposure to high temperatures.
7. Do not dry the wig in direct sunlight or near radiators. It should dry naturally, which can take 8-10 hours.
Drying the wig
If this step is not performed correctly, the product will lose its attractive appearance, it will be difficult to restore it.
Natural hair should be blotted with a towel, put on a dry cloth and left to dry naturally.
Tip: Try not to use a hair dryer. You will not damage the hairs, but you will break the initial styling of the wig.
Acrylic should dry naturally, but first put it on a jar to shape it. The use of heaters and curling irons is prohibited.
It is better not to blow the thermal fiber with a hairdryer, it destroys the attachment points of the hairs, but you can curl the curls with a curling iron or straighten with an iron, they tolerate high temperatures.
When to wash your synthetic wig
Wigs and hairpieces get as dirty as natural hair, but on the plus side, they need to be washed much less frequently.
Professionals recommend washing your synthetic wig after 10-12 uses, so the frequency and complexity of maintenance depends on how often you wear the extensions.
The frequency of washing depends on several factors:
- Wear time
- Weather conditions and air humidity
- The length of artificial curls
Lack of splendor, discoloration, an unpleasant smell – these are all signs that your product needs to be washed.
How often should you wash your wig
The reasons for washing are different:
- perhaps you wear a wig for a long time, and it has become greasy;
- artificial hair got sand or dirt;
- the product was stored for about a year in an unventilated place and acquired an unpleasant odor;
- wind and rain made hair very tangled;
- you curled your curls, but want to change your hairstyle.
In such cases, without washing, the wig cannot be restored to its original appearance.
A product made of artificial material should not be washed more often than once every 3 months, but natural hair should be refreshed every 45 days. If you see that the temporal, frontal and occipital parts of the wig have lost their shine, the hairs look greasy, then wash more often, but always use good shampoos and masks.
Preparing the wig for washing
Professionals recommend using special shampoos for washing synthetic hair, without adding oils, balms and other components. All this is useful for natural curls, but it is absolutely not necessary for artificial ones. Specialized detergents thoroughly clean the hairs from kanekalon, modacryl, thermofiber, without violating their structure and integrity.
Before washing, be sure to carefully comb the wig and untangle the strands. For this:
Put the product on the blank and secure it well.
2. Divide the curls into several parts and comb each separately with light movements.
3. You need to start from the tips and gradually move towards the roots.
4. Untangle all the knots, and if some do not lend themselves, carefully cut with nail scissors.
5. When the curls are combed, go through the comb along the entire length to give the hairstyle its original shape.
Now you can start washing.
Synthetic lining is good because it is easier to care for, it does not cause allergic reactions, and its cost is much lower than natural. Synthetic curls do not lose their shape even under the influence of strong winds or precipitation. Before caring for your wig, please read the following guidelines:
- You should carefully comb the strands and untangle the knots, and only then proceed to the washing procedure.
- To wash artificial overlays, a special shampoo is used.
- To comb the curls as best as possible, it is recommended to purchase a comb with large, sparse teeth.
- If the strands are curled, then it is enough to untangle them with your fingers. You should not comb them all at once. It is better to divide into several parts and work through each one separately.
- You need to dry the accessory using a special stand. In no case is it recommended to use a hair dryer, iron and curling iron, as heat treatment can damage the product. You need to comb artificial lining daily, and wash it once every two to three months.
- Proper care of a wig prevents it from being dyed.
- If the product is not used for more than a week, it should be placed in a box to protect it from dust.
Important! Do not store the overlay near heating appliances and in the open sun.
Synthetic wig care: washing procedure
1. Prepare laundry water by boiling or adding plain baking soda to soften it. Bottled water or water from natural sources is also suitable. In such water, contaminants are removed faster and more efficiently.
2. Add a little shampoo to a bowl of water, lather and place the artificial wig in it. Leave it alone for 15 minutes, then gently rinse it without twisting or rubbing.
3. Rinse off the soap suds under running water. In order not to damage the fibers, turn on a low pressure.
4. To soften artificial hair, take a bowl of water, add a little balm there and soak the product in this solution for 20 minutes. If the curls are electrified, use fabric softener when rinsing.
5. Remove the faux curls from the water, lay them out on a thick terry towel to remove excess moisture. Apply a wig serum to your curls, which does not require rinsing, but makes combing much easier.
6. You need to dry the wig on a blank or a can, away from ultraviolet radiation and heating devices. Blow-drying is not required, as synthetic hair wigs retain their original shape perfectly, saving time on styling.
7. To return the hair to its previous shape, it is enough to comb dry curls, shake well, and they will acquire the desired volume and effect. If necessary, apply a little styling mousse to the ends.
To clean the curls from decorative cosmetics – traces of lipstick, foundation, blush – you can treat the contaminated area with a simple toothbrush with medium bristles.
How to revive a synthetic wig after curling or ironing
If the old wig is made of kanekalon or modacryl, then alas, no way! These products must not be subjected to heat treatment. The fibers lose their structure forever and cannot be restored. Therefore, you have two options – cut off the damaged strands and cut the wig short or not bother and throw it away. And never make that mistake again.
In the passport of products there is always information about what temperature they can withstand. Always pay attention to these numbers and do not experiment once again.
Modern thermofiber wigs are another matter, they can be curled with a curling iron, straightened with an iron, dried with a hairdryer. They tolerate temperatures up to 200 C well, so with careful handling it is very difficult to harm them. But if you still ruined the wig with a curling iron, how to restore it?
Try one proven method to make your synthetic wig look smooth, soft and beautiful:
1. Dilute Lenore (or any other fabric softener) in a small amount of warm water. Soak the wig in this composition for two hours.
2. Then let the curls dry. No need to rinse the conditioner! Just lay your hair evenly on a towel and leave to dry.
3. Now you can comb – divide the hair into small sections and start from the ends.
After that, the hair of the wig will become more obedient, acquire an aesthetic appearance, get rid of “shaggy” and dryness.
The popular problem “how to fix an old wig?” relevant if the product is expensive, of high quality and made of natural hair. Inexpensive synthetic wigs lose their original appeal faster than natural ones, and are much cheaper. And in this case, it makes sense to simply replace the old wig with a new one.
What to do after washing
1. Proceed to the combing procedure only after the product has completely dried, otherwise you risk damaging it.
2. Use a special comb with rare teeth that will gently unravel the knots.
3. You should always start from the tips and then go up to the roots. It is better to hold the curls in your hand so as not to pull out the strands.
4. It is better to divide the hair into several parts and work with each separately. A special spray will help to facilitate the task.
5. After you finish combing, put the wig on your head and give your hair the desired shape.
How to restore a damaged natural hair wig
It is very difficult to ruin a human hair wig. You need to try hard to harm a quality product, because human hair can be dyed, blow-dried, curled with a curling iron and straightened with an iron. That is, to do everything that you do with your own hair.
However, many still manage to bring an expensive natural wig to a deplorable state. And so the question often arises – how to save the wig, restore the original shine, volume, softness.
How to restore its former brilliance
1. Apply conditioner to clean, damp hair. Spread the product well over the entire length of the hair – from roots to ends.
2. Put the wig in a plastic bag, and then put it in the microwave for half a minute. This is done so that wet hair warms up a little.
3. Take out the wig bag and wrap it in a towel for a couple of hours so that the hair will absorb the conditioner and become more moisturized and shiny.
4. Then it remains only to comb the curls, starting from the tips.
How to restore softness
Natural cosmetic oil will help here – coconut, argan, grape seed. You can even use extra virgin olive oil.
1. Apply a little oil to your hair + add conditioner, mask or hair balm.
2. Leave the wig on for half an hour. It is better if it is in a bag at this time so that the hair is well saturated with oil.
3. After that, wash the wig in the usual way (how to do it correctly is described in detail here).
And if the strands began to fray at the ends?
In this case, drastic measures are needed. And you can’t do without a thinning razor. You will have to cut off unaesthetic ends, which will give the wig a more well-groomed look and a beautiful shape. You can do it yourself or at the hairdresser.
So that the ends of natural hair do not split and do not shaggy, often moisturize them with special products and oils.
Caring for a synthetic hair wig: choosing a product
For full-fledged high-quality care, the following wig products will be required:
- Shampoo. There are specialized products for washing artificial hair, but if you want to save money, choose regular baby shampoos, as well as for dry, weakened hair. They do their job perfectly and do not harm the fibers.
- Air conditioning. It is used to soften curls and make combing easier. For these purposes, the popular Lenore is suitable – conditioner for washing clothes.
- Gel spray. This tool makes the hairs soft and manageable, facilitates combing and styling. The gel prevents strands from tangling, restores their pleasant natural shine and extends the life of the product.
- Antistatic. The most common one from the supermarket will do. It allows you to remove the electrification and helps to keep the styling flawless.
Special shampoos for artificial hair or why pay more
Such shampoos have a precisely adjusted formula that provides the most gentle cleansing of synthetic hair. Professional products qualitatively wash off dirt, dust and grease, but do not harm the curls. On the contrary, they protect the hairs from external influences and care for them.
Kanekalon and thermal fiber perfectly imitate natural hair, but for care they require special shampoos that do not moisturize the hairs, but rather dry them. Household shampoos can leach out the polymers from synthetic fibers, making them brittle, dull, and stiff over time.
When should you wash your wig?
Cleaning artificial hair depends on many factors, consider them:
- wearing frequency. If you wear a wig every day, then you need to wash it every 10-15 days (it is better to have several wigs so that wear is less). A wig that you wear infrequently needs to be washed every 2-4 months to freshen it from the dust that has time to settle during this time.
- Synthetic hair lengths Long hair gets dirty much faster than short hair, so it needs to be washed more often.
- The material from which the wig is made. Products made from synthetic fibers get dirty very quickly, so if they are used frequently, they should be cleaned frequently.
Features of storage of kanekalon and thermal fiber wigs
- To ensure optimal conditions for storing wigs, experts recommend purchasing a breathable mesh that holds its shape well.
- Long hair of a wig should be tied in a ponytail and rolled into a light bun, and only after that put the product in a net for storage.
- For storage, a well-ventilated area, such as a bedroom or boudoir, is suitable. A blank with a wig can be put on a dressing table, chest of drawers, bedside table.
- Do not store products near a window, near direct exposure to ultraviolet rays, radiators, fireplaces and other heating devices.
- To protect against dust, experts advise using light scarves, veils, scarves. In no case should you put artificial curls in plastic bags.
As you can see, caring for synthetic hair wigs does not require you to sacrifice. And if you do everything right, regularly and according to our recommendations, the products will last for many years and will delight you with an impeccable appearance.
How to comb a wig
Hair care is a daily routine. This rule applies to both natural and synthetic products. Choose a comfortable comb and spray for your curls to look perfect every day.
It is forbidden to use a brush for a wet wig, wait until it is completely dry and start combing it with a comb with large teeth – from the tips to the roots. Use special spray conditioners that will facilitate the process and save styling. Thanks to professional tools, you will not have a question about how to comb an artificial wig so as not to harm the curls.
Important: synthetic curls do not require additional styling, because after drying they take on their original appearance. The main thing in the washing process is not to tangle the hairs so as not to cut them.
Synthetic wigs can only be combed when dry. Do this from the tips, but without touching the roots. The comb should be fine-toothed to untangle any knots. You can use curlers if you want to get a curly effect or straighten with an iron for smoothness. Choose a weak hold varnish.
Tip: so that the ends of your wig are not split, after washing, treat them with special hair oil, and then the strands on it will look perfect.
Now you know how to wash a wig made of natural and synthetic hair, keeping the original look. Do not be afraid to buy such products. Remember that the main condition for the durability of an artificial hairstyle is proper and timely care.